Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Transforming a Dollar Store Candle with Die Cuts!

Hi everyone! I haven't done a dollar store project in ages, but I have a super fun one for you today. I bought a bunch of these battery operated candles last year, thinking I'd do something to them, and then never had time. With the release of Karen Burniston's new Halloween dies, I was inspired to turn them into some spooky little decor pieces. So easy you can make one in less than 30 minutes - 10 of that is just me cleaning off my desk! ;-)

To create adhesive die cuts, I covered black cardstock with 2" wide double-sided adhesive, then placed my dies on top and ran them through my big shot. After that, it was as easy and removing the backing and placing the images where I wanted them. I was surprised to find that they adhered to the slightly waxy coating with no problem.

The base is an unfinished wood piece from the craft store. It's painted with black acrylic paint. The candle just sits on top of it (if it was adhered it would cover up the switch).

I added a scrap of the spider web to the tree to dangle a spider from. Thin wire makes a perfect web strand. It's tucked under the web and secured with the adhesive on the back. I cut two spiders and sandwiched the wire between them.

The graveyard die cut almost covers the entire candle, leaving the perfect gap to add a pumpkin and raven.

Here it is all lit up. Not bad for a buck, right?! Oh, and I added spider webs to the inside of the word 'BOO' by first cutting out two spider webs, then cutting them again with the boo die. I saved the inside portion of the o's and place them into the center of the die cut boo. Make sense?

I love how these turned out - and it was SO easy! You could also use this idea for any type of holiday or theme. These would make super inexpensive party favors or gifts for the holidays, done in a different theme.

The supplies I used can be found Simon Says Stamp via the links below.







Thanks so much for stopping by today! Have a great rest of your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!