Monday, February 19, 2018

Steampunk Pop Up Cake

Hi everyone! I'm just popping up (!) to share a grungy steampunk birthday card I made using Karen Burniston's new Cake Pop-Up Card die. This card was so much fun to make! I started with a background that was created with Ranger's Distress Oxide inks. The metal looking strips at the top and bottom are kraft cardstock that I painted with Brushed Pewter Distress paint. I die cut the word celebrate out of a scrap of painted cardstock and adhered it to one of the strips, then added rivets that were made with the flower center die from Karen's Flower and Bee die set. I painted over everything with black Distress paint, then wiped it off, giving it an aged appearance.

The cake layer were all created with different techniques. The bottom layer is plain white cardstock that I gave a wood appearance to by drawing lines with a brown marker. I die cut the paper, then added gold rub ons and a coating of glossy accents. The middle layer is more painted cardstock and faux rivets. The top layer was painted with bronze Distress paint and stamped and embossed with a gear stamp. On the top I added a mini gear.

I adhered just the bottom and sides of the metallic strip so that I could insert a stamped tag and a gift card.

On the front, I added another wood-looking panel created from white cardstock and markers. I cut a frame out using one of the square frame dies from Karen's Square Pop Up set, then added a stamped panel behind. The 37 was cut from silver painted cardstock using her new numbers dies.

I made a little series of photos so you can get an idea of how the cake expands when the card is opened. It is SO cool!!

The supplies I used can be purchased via the links below.


I'm sharing this over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Grunge it Up!

Thanks so much for stopping by today - have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. I knew I loved this die and you just confirmed it. What a fantastic creation you made. Definitely getting this one. Your steampunk take on the die is just PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always your work is just beautiful Shelly and this is no exception because this is stunning! I love all the details and adore the paintwork and how you've created the look of metal on this amazing project...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! x

      Delete
  3. I love this card. It has taken something very traditional and made it so much more

    Diana @ Playing
    https://playingwithoutlimits.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very cool card! I just bought this die and looking forward to try it. I just wonder if you can tell me the measure of your card?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!