Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tag Tuesday - Fabric, Wednesday Stamper - Music, Plus a Tut!

Back when I first used my Faux Tarnished Metal technique, I promised that I would post a tutorial, and I've finally gotten around to doing it! My ATT friend, Mary-Beth, graciously offered to send me some birdcage and bird die cuts so I could recreate the metal cage. Thanks so much Mary-Beth! :-) Here we go:

Supplies: Versamark watermark ink pad; brown (not pictured), bronze/copper, black acrylic paint; Ranger silver embossing powder; Ranger Ultra Thick embossing powder; birdcage or other die; heat gun; sponge or sponge brush. Tip: the plastic from an Idea-ology package makes a great palette!

Step 1: Paint birdcage with a combination of brown and copper acrylic paint. This color will peek through your melted embossing powder in the end.

Step 2: Cover entire die cut with Versamark, or other clear pigment ink.

Step 3: Cover entire piece in silver embossing powder. Tap off excess.

Step 4: Emboss using a heat gun. Let cool.

 Step 5: Reapply Versamark, covering silver embossing. It's ok to leave some un-inked areas, if you like.

Step 6: Cover with Ultra Thick embossing powder. Tap off excess.

Step 7: Emboss UTEE using heat gun. You'll notice the UTEE causes the silver embossing powder to dissipate, creating little 'windows' through to the base color. Very cool!! At this point, you can decide if you want more silver, more UTEE, etc. I added another layer of silver and another layer of UTEE, proceeding as shown above.

This is my piece after I was done with embossing. Don't you love the way the silver embossing is broken up? It's really starting to look like tarnished metal!

Step 8: Using a cosmetic sponge or sponge brush (one of Tim's Dabbers would be great for this!) cover the entire piece with black acrylic paint. Be generous.

Step 9: Wipe paint from birdcage using a tissue or paper towel. You can leave on as little or as much paint as you like. If it dries too soon, dampen your tissue and re-wipe.

Finished!!

My tag background was a second generation Antiqued Glimmers (Technique Junkie Newsletter) 'swipe' after making my tag for Day 1 of Tim's Christmas tags. I spotted it on my work table and decided it would be perfect with the bird cage. My bird was stamped with a flourish from one of Tim's clear stamp sets, and then clear embossed. I sponged Faded Jeans and Bundled Sage over the top. Love that technique!

To give some contrast to the tag, I added a scrap of music from an old hymnal. Since the Wednesday Stamper theme was 'Music', it works perfectly for that challenge. I used Elmer's large glue dots raise the birdcage slightly, to give some dimension, and the thin glue dots hold the bird securely.

To fit the 'A Bit of Fabric' theme over at Tag Tuesday, I created a fabric flower using a technique my friend Debi Vincent taught at our stamp club. It's so cool! Maybe I'll see if she minds me posting a tut for that one of these days. Finally, I edged both the tag and bird with some of Martha's glitter and then mounted it to a French text covered wood block, just like I did for all my Christmas tags. The stamps I used are all from Tim Holtz. Whew!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and try it for yourself. There are lots of different ways this could be used, and endless variations and combinations you could try. I would really appreciate you crediting me with the technique if you post it anywhere. :-)

**Be sure and click on any image to see a large version and more detail.

57 comments:

  1. Oh Shelly your Tag is fabulous, I just love the finish you created on the bird cage, I must try it sometime.
    Thank you so very much for the tutorial,it is easy to understand and follow.
    Smiles:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tut! How do you think up these things?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome! Great technique--can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is wonderful Shelly and I sure hope she will let you share the flower tute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tag...I just love how you did it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant tutorial Shelly, thank you for inspiring me...your tag is wonderful in every detail!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a super awesome tutorial Shelly! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous, Shelley! Beautifully created, wonderful tutorial. Hugs, Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous! And how nice...a tutorial! thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very impressive! I must try this, and with the same birdcage, bird, etc. Really like it! Nelda in TN

    ReplyDelete
  11. the cage looks so real, well done! beautiful tag and how nice to be sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous tag, thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tag's amazing, Shelley!!! Thanks for sharing your tut... will have to give it a go because I love the effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This tag is out of this world gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Shelly, I don't like this kind of thing at all, but this project looks so clean and beautiful. I love it, and will give it a go myself. Thank you so much for sharing with us.
    Blessings, Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous tutorial, Shelly! I love how you share fun things you discover while playing with your supplies. It all goes together so beautifully to create your wonderful tag!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my!! Such a Beautiful Tag! You Have A Wonderful Blog Too! *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tag, Shelly! I still think you should be on Tim's DT. You do amazing work and thanks for the tut. Love seeing your creations, you are incredibly talented:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is simply GORGEOUS!!! love all waht you do in your great piece. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful colour choice for the tag, a special tag. Great tutorial. Lynne M

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! I am speachless.. What a wonderful Tag. Love what you did with that Bird cage..

    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your tag is divine Shelly! Thanks for sharing that great technique too!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great technique Shelly - thank you for Sharing this...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful coloured cage, love how the bird looks out of the cage.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this, Shelly!!! Thanks you so much for the tut!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shelly, I really like the contrast of the metal with the softenss of the fabric and the rest of your tag. thanks for sharing how you created your birdcage, too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great tutorial. Love the effect you have achieved on the cage.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is freakin' awesome! I love it, and thanks so much for sharing the tutorial, will deffo have to try this, for sure, for sure! Great tag, too! lol! Love the bird with stamping and embossing..

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your tag! Thanks so much for coming by and leaving a comment on my tag, cause now I've been here, I'll be back to visit you again! Becky G. in GA

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the tutorial. Love the colors on your tag and the whole look is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  31. lovely! and ty for the tut! your work is great! cher from att xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Love your tag. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful job. I don't have any of the supplies but looks like it would be fun to create. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for the tutorial, thank you for inspiring. Your tag is gorgeous, every detail is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  35. what a great tutorial and I'm going to give it a try this weekend! thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful tag and the faux metal technique on the bird cage is absolutely brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing a tutorial on how it was done!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful tag, I love it. Thanks for sharing the technique too, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful tag! The birdcage is really stunning...

    ReplyDelete
  39. It's beautiful - I'm so glad I got to see it in person this last weekend. Thanks for the shout out! Tut away, my friend.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  40. Absolutely beautiful!! Love your tag, and thanks for sharing how you made it!! BEAUTIFUL!!!

    hugs and smiles,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi, me again (Dorthe)
    this is so gorgeus, and a great tutorial, thanks, so much,-I will be back here, for your fantastic creations.
    Hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  42. Fantastic tutorial, I am definitely going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a wonderful tutorial! I can't wait to try it. Btw, do you know where I can get the bird cage die cut? Thanks so much for sharing this.

    Liz-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  44. thanks for the tutorial. I will try this someday!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you for this tutorial. This is a fantastic technique!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks so much for explaining this in such great detail. It is a wonderful effect and really looks like genuine metal.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I've just found my way to your blog-what a great blog you have!Thanks for sharing this technique-it's gone straight to the top of the things to try pile!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh my gosh, Shelly!!!! this tag turned out so beautifully and I love the tute!! Thank you so very much for exchanging die cuts with me, I only hope I can do justice to the ones you sent me as you did mine! You are such a sweet and generous person!

    ReplyDelete
  49. What an amazing tutorial for a creative and very fun technique! My creative juices are now overflowing! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I cant wait to try this technique on my layouts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!