Have you ever seen something and said, "Hey, I can make that!" Well, I do that all the time - it's pretty much my mantra. When I saw the apothecary cabinet
that Tim Holtz used at this summer's CHA show, I absolutely knew I had to have one. Of course, I would never be able to find one exactly like his, so I knew I would have to make it myself.
The question was, how? Enter Eileen Hull's ScoreBoard dies. When I made my French Storage Caddy
a few months ago, I noticed that the boxes, when turned sideways, were the perfect size to hold a Distress ink pad. I filed that little nugget of info away, knowing that I needed a storage solution for my inks. When combined with the idea for the apothecary cabinet, it blossomed into the perfect cabinet for studio storage!
The drawer fronts were covered with galvanized metal that I bought at the hardware store. I used tin snips to cut it to size. Be VERY careful when you do this! The edges are really sharp. After I glued it to the boxes, I was quite distressed to see it was shiny - like mirror
shiny - and I wanted mine to look more like aged zinc. After doing a little research on how to dull the finish, I ended up burnishing it with steel wool that I dipped into vinegar. It knocked that shine down almost instantly! The knobs are plain old craft store unfinished wood knobs. I painted them black, sanded them, and inked them with Brushed Corduroy Distress ink.
This shot shows the basic construction of the cabinet. The upper cubbies are made from Eileen Hull's Box die. The lid was cut off and the box turned with the open side facing out. The drawers on the bottom were made with Eileen's Candy Drawer die, and the little vertical cubby was made with her Caddy die.
The hardest part of this project was figuring out the spacing. I used lots of mat board shims to get everything to match up just right. It was all glued together with Beacon's 3-in-1 glue before painting.
Here is a great shot showing just how shiny those drawer fronts were. Pretty for another project, but not this one! After I painted the whole piece with black acrylic paint, I added a little cove molding to the top and sides. I glued a thin piece of decorative molding just above the drawers to add a bit of detail.
If you don't want to use your cabinet in the studio, it is perfect for displaying all your favorite treasures in your house! It's incredibly sturdy - especially when it's filled. The drawers could be left open for display as well.
I am just too thrilled with how this project turned out! It was definitely a labor of love, but well worth it. It's so hard to believe that it's almost entirely made of paper.
I apologize for not sharing a full tutorial for this, but I am gearing up for CHA sample making and just don't have the time right now. I'm planning to write one up and have it available as a downloadable project after the first of the year, so check back in a month or so. :)
Thanks so much for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed this project! Have a wonderful week!