Monday, June 1, 2015

Mixed Media Monthly Guest Artist

Hi all! Last year, I was thrilled to be the first guest artist at the brand new Mixed Media Monthly Challenge blog. Fast forward to one year later and I'm back again for their anniversary! To celebrate, this month's theme is to use any of the challenge themes from the past year. The month I was a guest the theme was spray inks, so I decided to revisit that. I used some of my favorite things - dies from Eileen Hulls, misters from DecoArt, and embellishments from Tim Holtz. Here's a quick tutorial for this pretty, shabby box:

Begin by cutting two large label shapes from thin chipboard using Eileen Hull's Ornamental Labels die, and two of the long connecting pieces using Eileen's Make it 3D die. Trim off a segment from each end of one of the connecting strips.

Cut all the tabs but one from one side of the connecting strips as shown. Fold the tabs on the other edge and adhere to one of the labels, creating a box (you'll be piecing two together to make a strip long enough to completely cover the base).

Cover the box with vintage French book pages. Cut a frame using the label die and adhere it to the remaining large chipboard label. This will be the top of the box. Paint everything with DecoArt white gesso.

Spray the box top and bottom with various DecoArt Media misters. Rub DecoArt gold paint on the frame. Add embellishments as shown. Finish the box by adhering the top to the tab at the back of the box.

After my box was finished I decided I wanted to create a coordinating necklace to give as a gift. I used Eileen's new flower die and cut layers from aluminum flashing. I inked each piece with Versamark and covered them with white embossing powder. After melting the ep, I colored each layer using alcohol ink. I connected the layers, then attached a chain and was done!

Eileen's Make it 3D is really such a cool die. It can turn just about any die you own into a box. There are so many fun things you can do with it! And those DecoArt misters are so gorgeous. I wish you could see how pretty this is in real life!

The supplies I used can be found at Scrapbook.com and Amazon via the links below.



Thanks so much for stopping by today. Be sure and visit the Mixed Media Monthly blog and check out all the wonderful artwork by the other guest artists and the MMM team. Tons of inspiration!

14 comments:

  1. So soft and pretty! The necklace is, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So soft and pretty! The necklace is, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS SHELLY!!!! I am amazed at how you can create in all styles so well. I want to eat this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. a great project , love the soft colours x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful Shelly, so soft and feminine and the necklace is a perfect accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just so gorgeously pretty and would be awesome to give little gifts as cheer ups etc!! Now all I have to do is track down that 3D die!! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful and creative. I love it. I pinned. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/415386765608356855/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Popped over from the Mixed Media Monthly challenge to have a closer look. Your box is so very beautiful, love it and wish I could create something similar! Thank you for sharing how you created it too Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty in the pastel colors - what a lovely box!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this Shelley, pretty is the perfect word for it - so delicate and feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very, very pretty - love the colors and embellies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your project is amazing! So beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shelly this is just beautiful! So soft and delicate!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!