Saturday, July 15, 2017

Distress Oxides - By The Sea

Hi all! I have been keeping busy with lots of garden and baking projects, but wanted to share a new project I've started with a few friends of mine. I bought Eileen Hull's amazing new Journal die and we were cutting out book covers when it occurred to me that they would be perfect books to hold swap pages. So each month we have a theme and we'll be creating pages to put in each other's books. How fun is that?! I'm really excited to have an ongoing project like this and it's so fun to see what everyone comes up with. I still need to finish my book, but I'll be sharing that very soon.

Our first theme was patriotic/summer. I obviously went for summer. :) I am still getting the hang of working with the new Distress Oxides, so I thought I'd use this as an opportunity to experiment some more. I used a combination of Broken China, Faded Denim, and Vintage Photo to create the backgrounds. I used Elizabeth Craft Designs' soft finish cardstock as my base and I love the way it looks. I was really happy with how these turned out - there were no duds in the bunch!

The image of the women and the ticket are both rubber stamps from Oxford Impressions. The women were stamped on matte coated cardstock with black Archival ink and colored with Distress markers. I was so thrilled with how well the cardstock took the ink! I added a few rub ons to the 'photo' to add some intereste. To finish my card, I added some tissue tape and a bit of cheesecloth. I checked the OI Etsy store and I didn't see this particular stamp set available right now, but you might be able to message Suzanne, the owner, and see if she can make a special order for you. It's a really wonderful stamp set - one of the first of hers I owned! UPDATE! I just checked and By the Sea is now in stock. Thanks, Suzanne!

Here's a 'taste' of what I've been baking! Do any of you watch the Great British Baking Show (Bake Off in the UK)? I'm obsessed! When I saw this pies and tarts class that Craftsy was offering, I snapped it up!

I made these from the leftover tart dough from the tart in the photo at the top. So good! It was based on a King Arthur Flour recipe. Scrummy!

This was the pie that caught my attention in the Craftsy class. I made if for the 4th of July and it was a huge hit! The pie crust is almost like a puff pastry. So flaky and light. And no soggy bottom! :)

And here's an actual GBBO recipe - Paul's Schichttorte. It was really not as hard as it looks; just very time-consuming. And very yummy! I can't promise that this won't turn into a baking blog, but you might see a few of my latest kitchen projects from time to time. :)


One more thing - there is a great sale at Sizzix going on this weekend. Lots and lots of my favorite dies at incredible prices. Click the banner above to shop!


The inks I used can be found at Simon Says Stamp via the link above.

Thanks so much for stopping by today! I'm entering my Distress Oxide collage in the Simon Monday Challenge - Distress It,  and the Frilly and Funkie challenge - In the Good Old Summertime.

Hope you have a great weekend.

13 comments:

  1. I am addicted to the Great British Baking Show and oh my, your pastries and cake are winners! I am so impressed and will look forward to seeing more of that creativity! And of course, your distress oxide backgrounds are perfect on this fun card. I continue to enjoy your blog and creative endeavors very much, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with the Oxides! You are definitely getting the hang of it! I just messaged Suzanne to see if she has the stamp set! I love vintage photos! Fantastic job on the baking! I watch the GBBO religiously and your schichttorte turned out fabulous along with your other goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing your baking! I'm also a huge fan of GBBS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your journal pages and the idea of swapping. Your baked goods look sooooo yummy! My pie crust recipe has vodka in it and it turns out well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely fabulous background. I love all the splashes and layers of colors. Thank you for joining Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge and Distress It with us! Hugs, Macarena

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the tag and the photos of the baked goods have got me just wanting more!! A dear friend of mine made the best rhubarb and strawberry pie ever!! We ate and then started playing with these amazing inks. The Oxides are truly magical and have got me inspired again to get busy having fun! Enjoyed your post and look forward to more!
    I would love to get that stamp, but haven't found it yet. Lovely project!!! Oh and do you deliver??? Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh..those sweet treats made my mouth water! Now, on to the tag...soooooooooooo stinkin' fabulous. The inky background is perfect for a beach theme, and the stamped women look exactly like a vintage photo. Amazing! Love, love love this project! Thanks for joining the fun at the Frilly and Funkie "In the Good Old Summertime" Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your mixed media works and am so hungry for your sweet desserts!! I only tend to make rice krispy treats!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment is actually for By The Sea card. I did not see a place to post a comment and I am new at this. I love that card and plan to order the stamp soon. My questions are did you use any grey Oxides in the card as the 2nd picture appears to have a grayish color ink pad in the upper right corner but it could be my monitor! Also, did you use a stencil in the first picture? It looks like a diamond pattern of some sort underneath the 2. Was it hard to achieve that look? I will be following you now as I have looked at many of your projects and love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa. I think it's Faded Denim - it looks gray in the photo, but that's one of the colors I used, so it must be that! The white mesh is a stamp from Tim Holtz. I used a white dabber to apply paint to the stamp and then stamped it onto the panel. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  10. I love seeing your baking! I'm also a huge fan of GBBS!

    ตารางคะแนน

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mouth is watering over the long cherry tart! do you happen to have a recipe for that? it is haunting my dreams!! love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!