Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Sizzix ScoreBoards Apothecary Cabinet


Have you ever seen something and said, "Hey, I can make that!" Well, I do that all the time - it's pretty much my mantra. When I saw the apothecary cabinet that Tim Holtz used at this summer's CHA show, I absolutely knew I had to have one. Of course, I would never be able to find one exactly like his, so I knew I would have to make it myself.

The question was, how? Enter Eileen Hull's ScoreBoard dies. When I made my French Storage Caddy a few months ago, I noticed that the boxes, when turned sideways, were the perfect size to hold a Distress ink pad. I filed that little nugget of info away, knowing that I needed a storage solution for my inks. When combined with the idea for the apothecary cabinet, it blossomed into the perfect cabinet for studio storage!


The drawer fronts were covered with galvanized metal that I bought at the hardware store. I used tin snips to cut it to size. Be VERY careful when you do this! The edges are really sharp. After I glued it to the boxes, I was quite distressed to see it was shiny - like mirror shiny - and I wanted mine to look more like aged zinc. After doing a little research on how to dull the finish, I ended up burnishing it with steel wool that I dipped into vinegar. It knocked that shine down almost instantly! The knobs are plain old craft store unfinished wood knobs. I painted them black, sanded them, and inked them with Brushed Corduroy Distress ink.


This shot shows the basic construction of the cabinet. The upper cubbies are made from Eileen Hull's Box die. The lid was cut off and the box turned with the open side facing out. The drawers on the bottom were made with Eileen's Candy Drawer die, and the little vertical cubby was made with her Caddy die.

The hardest part of this project was figuring out the spacing. I used lots of mat board shims to get everything to match up just right. It was all glued together with Beacon's 3-in-1 glue before painting.


Here is a great shot showing just how shiny those drawer fronts were. Pretty for another project, but not this one! After I painted the whole piece with black acrylic paint, I added a little cove molding to the top and sides. I glued a thin piece of decorative molding just above the drawers to add a bit of detail.


If you don't want to use your cabinet in the studio, it is perfect for displaying all your favorite treasures in your house! It's incredibly sturdy - especially when it's filled. The drawers could be left open for display as well.


I am just too thrilled with how this project turned out! It was definitely a labor of love, but well worth it. It's so hard to believe that it's almost entirely made of paper.

I apologize for not sharing a full tutorial for this, but I am gearing up for CHA sample making and just don't have the time right now. I'm planning to write one up and have it available as a downloadable project after the first of the year, so check back in a month or so. :)




Thanks so much for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed this project! Have a wonderful week!

44 comments:

  1. OMG this is crazy awesome! I need to find this die. This is the coolest project! I love what we can create with paper. FANTASTIC. Off to pin this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this Shelly!!!! I have a "thing" for cubbies and drawers...so I'm just going to have make myself one or two or six of these!! Good grief, now I have to add 3 more dies to my wish list LOL You are SUCH an enabler ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, good going girl!! This is fantastic and look totally authentic. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome, I would never guess it's paper. Great, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh em gee! This is so freaking amazing that my eyes almost popped out in wonder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great board, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing how we store those little nuggets of information for later use...I do that all the time...just wish I had free time to be using those magic nuggets...Happy CHA crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Shelly, I thought this was wood construction at first, what a brilliant make and indeed worth all the effort and time. Love it.
    hugs {Brenda} xOx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! A truly magical make, Shelly!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool Shelly!! I need new storage for my distress inks too, that's a great discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful cabinet Shelly. You've done a magnificent job. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a fantastic little cabinet, it looks very vintage, Eileen's dies are just amazing and so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh..my..oh..my... this is amazing ♥♥♥
    You do a really great job on this Cabinet.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Big hugs to you
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome cabinet! Now I want these dies!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! this is so awesome!!! Excellent job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE it! Now I HAVE to make one! Thank you so much for the details on how to put it together. It's a wonderful piece!

    Noreen
    Crafty Journal

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is amazing, Shelly! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh, this is fantastic! Looks like wood. Looking forward to the tutorial. Did you do another drawer unit earlier in the year? I seem to recall seeing one but can't remember where. Thankful for your inspirational work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh man, oh MAN!! I have always wanted an apothecary cabinet!!! Thanks so much for sharing your project with us! Truly Looooove it! :D (if I had the dies...I'd be making this RIGHT now!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So amazing. I will definitely watch for the tutorial. Would be so fun to make. thanks as always for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is spectacular & completely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am in awe of this piece, really thought it was a wood cabinet when I first saw it. Amazing! and a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. To me, this is beyond amazing....something I would NEVER think of attempting! It looks so wonderful, too...beautiful how everything is visible. Fabulous, Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMGosh, this is amazing. I WILL attempt to do this!!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMGosh, this is amazing. I WILL attempt to do this!!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It really looks like a perfect find from a fleamarket! A well worn used wooden box with lots of history... Loooove that it's made from plain paper!


    Greetings from Belgium
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  27. This turned out wonderfully! You are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ohhhhh....way too amazing !!!! You are truly very talented, creative and clever. I'm very grateful being able to follow your art work. I soak inspiration from you.LOL
    I also look forward to get the tutorial if/when you have time doing it.
    Sending thank you and hugs...from SPAIN

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE this-I already made the vintage embellishment chest and it is one of my most favorite projects and I'm definitely going to make this apothecary cabinet. I purchased the die and thought I had only one project to make with it but you have given me lots of ideas that I can use it for. I so look forward to your tutorial on making the cabinet. Thanks so much for all your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow who knew this was made out of paper. What an amazing piece of art. Would love to have an online class for this. Totally loving this project.

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW! I wasn't expecting it to be a paper project.... it looks so "woody"! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I will definitely have to try this. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! I will definitely look for those dies! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Have you ever posted the tutorial? Would love to try to make something like this, but I need instructions! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I absolutely love this! I would love to try and make it but I don't have any of the dies. Would you please let me know which ones (sizes) to purchase? Also, have you done a tutorial for it yet? If so I couldn't find it. I am so excited to try this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is absolutely amazing!

    I look forward to seeing the full tutorial.

    Best of all, it's holiday time so I can get some of those dies guilt free! :D

    ReplyDelete
  37. This blows my mind!! I am a box, organizational, cubby addict and this is AMAZING!!! Definitely going to be awaiting the tutorial!! I am now following you so I don't miss anything! Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!