Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Frilly and Funkie - An Altered State

Hi everyone! Today I have a cute Christmas project that's perfect for all you fellow hoarders out there. It's time again for the Frilly and Funkie challenge and our hostess, Cec, has picked a really fun theme for us - An Altered State. Cec says, "It is time to transform something you have sitting around or can pick up for a song and make it one of your works of art. It could be a frame, a bottle, an old cigar box, a discarded CD - the list is endless. Just make sure your final transformation is vintage or shabby chic." I just happen to have a box of junk that I add bits and pieces to, knowing that someday they might be transformed into something cool - it was time to dig in and see what I could find.

I came across this box that I'd been saving for awhile. It's a sturdy box that held candy and had a lid with a magnetic closure. My first thought was to turn it into a box to hold a set of handmade cards. After I'd covered it wither paper, I turned it on its side and was like - oh no, this is a shadowbox!

I cut off the magnetic closure part and covered the inside of the lid with Tim Holtz's Yuletide paper. I embellished it with a frame from the dollar section of Michaels, stamped images from Tim's Mini Holidays 5 set, plus die cut greenery and a little pine cone. So cute and easy!

For the shadowbox section. I added a dyed Woodlands tree and a die cut deer. The paper covering the box is all from the Yuletide stash. To trim the opening prettily, I added Tim's new Lace Trimmings. Gorgeous!

All the supplies I used can be found at The Funkie Junkie Boutique via the links below. Make sure you check out their Black Friday sale, starting Thursday at 9 pm Eastern time!



Thanks so much for stopping by today. I do hope you'll join us for this fantastic challenge. You can see the rest of the team's projects, plus read all the challenge details in this post. Good luck!

4 comments:

  1. Clever! Love your little scene-it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! The ledger background is the perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulously designed box! I love your combination of elements!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous transformation of a box both on the inside and on the inside cover. You have created a lovely winter scene inside with your bottle brush tree and the festive reindeer. Love the frame around the sentiment and the papers are so perfect for a vintage Christmas theme.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous transformation Shelly! Love the snow and that framed festive wreath. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!