Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Karen Burniston Designer Challenge - Glitter!

Hi everyone! It's time once again for Karen Burniston's Designer Challenge and I'm sharing what might just be one of my all-time favorite cards. Our challenge was to use glitter in our creations. Well, you know I love my glitter - I couldn't wait to get started! With Valentine's Day just a few days away, I decided to create a sweet, glittery Valentine card using a few of my favorite Pop it Ups dies.

I told Karen I had been waiting for her to come out with a balloon die just so I could do this technique with it! I love this honeycomb look (you might remember my honeycomb hot air balloons from a few years ago) and I think it's so perfect with this shape. All I did was cut multiple balloon sections using the new Hot Air Balloon die, folded them, then attached them to each other. To create the trim, I cut the scalloped border twice and glued it together to create a piece long enough to wrap around. I did the same thing with the top edge of the balloon basket. So sweet!

The card was created using the Accordion Rectangle die - one of my faves. I cut it from sturdy grey cardstock and then cut it again from this pretty paper from My Mind's Eye. After trimming off the interior panels from the MME paper, and trimming a bit off the edges, I adhered it to the grey card base, creating an easy border. The right side of the panel was created with the frame die from Karen's Katie Label Pivot set and the letters were cut from glitter paper with Elizabeth Craft Designs' Alpha 1 die. I created a charm by cutting more glitter paper with the heart from the new Hanging Charm Pull Tab die set.

Since I added the scallop trim around the balloon, this card can't be mailed flat, but would have to be put into a larger envelope or box, or hand delivered. If you wanted to be able to mail it in a normal envelope, you could leave off the trim and press the folds down. The recipient could fluff it up when they received it.

You can find the supplies I used from Elizabeth Craft Designs, Simon Says Stamp, and Amazon via the links below.




Make sure you check out Karen's blog tomorrow for a fantastic new tutorial and tons of glittery inspiration from the rest of the Designer Challenge team!

4 comments:

  1. Love,this Shelly, the hot air balloon is fabulous and I love your choice of papers and colours. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoooHooo....Love this card and I really enjoyed seeing your other tutorial on the tissue paper balloon from a few years ago! Honestly, your tutorials are the Best! TFS! :) Just Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super clever!! such a lovely make xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!