Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Karen Burniston Designer Challenge - Day 2!

Hi all! Today I'm sharing my second project for Karen Burniston's Designer Challenge. This time I decided to do a summery tag with butterflies - another one of my favorite things about summer!

I just bought another set of Ranger's Distress crayons and thought it would be fun to create a pretty background using Elizabeth Craft Designs' Soft Finish Cardstock. I took a couple pics along the way to show you how I made it:

I started by cutting a tag using the tag die from ECD's Tags and More 1 set. I used Karen Burniston's Swirly Flourish stencil with texture paste to create the background. After it dried, I covered the whole tag with clear gesso. I wasn't sure how the cardstock would react to the crayons and I thought it would be a good idea to seal it.

 Next, I scribbled various colors over the tag.

I spritzed the tag lightly with water and used my finger to move the color around. I added more water in areas where I wanted to remove the color.

I wanted to tone down the color a bit and soften it, so I spritzed randomly with Picket Fence Distress Ink and rubbed a bit of white paint here and there. When it was dry, I added Chicken Wire die cuts that I'd embossed with silver embossing powder, and a bit of cheesecloth. I cut butterflies from ECD's Rosebud cardstock using dies from Karen's Butterfly Pivot Card and Butterfly Accessories sets, layered them together, sanded them lightly, then adhered them to the card. Finally, I stamped one of my favorite sentiments from Tim Holtz, cut it out, and added it to the card with foam dots.

I hope you enjoyed my quick tutorial! The supplies I used can be found at Elizabeth Crafts Designs and Simon Says Stamp via the links below. SSS is having a big sale on Tim Holtz products right now too! You can save 20% when you use the code TimRocks. It's a great time to stock up!





Speaking of butterflies - here's one of my faves that I spotted last week. The swallowtails are so gorgeous!

Thanks so much for stopping by today. Be sure and check out Karen's blog tomorrow. She has a super cool new card technique, plus tons of inspiration from the whole team!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a lot of items/products used in your tag. I love the photo of the real-life butterfly - lucky you, living somewhere that you can see these in the wild. I only see them at a Butterfly centre.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!