Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Karen Burniston Designer Challenge - G-G-G-Ghost!

Hi all! It's time again for Karen Burniston's Designer Challenge. The theme this month is G-G-G-Ghost! And this card has some very spooky ghosts in store for you...but they're very shy.

I was inspired by my fellow teammate, Fran Sabad's, Phantom of the Opera card from a few weeks ago. I love how she combined the Katherine Label and the circle from the Snowman Twist Circle set to make a rising moon card. I thought a spooky graveyard scene with the moon rising at the card was opened would be perfect for the ghostly theme.

And here are my spooky little apparitions! I thought it would be cool if they weren't just stationary, but rose with the moon as the card was opened, floating out from behind the tombstones. I figured out an easy way to make it happen and it really takes the card to a whole new level!

One thing I've really been wanting to try is the new Distress Oxides on black cardstock. I thought it might make a really eerie night sky for my witch to fly across and I was right! I took a few pics while I was making my card to show you how I created it.

I started by pressing Faded Jeans, Wilted Violet, and Fossilized Amber Distress Oxide inks onto a non-stick craft sheet as shown, then spritzing them with water.

I dragged black cardstock through the ink and dried it. Then pressed it into the droplets to pick up more ink and dried it again. How lucky was it that the Fossilized Amber ended up right where my moon would be? Cool! I wanted to add a bit more depth so a wiped my sheet clean and pressed just the Faded Jeans and Wilted Violet into the sheet - this time I spritzed with Perfect Pearls mist to see what kind of effect I would get.

 Ooooooh. Pretty good effect, right?? I love how this turned out!

So the mechanism would match the card, I inked up a scrap of cardstock and then die cut the mechanism and assembled it. To get my ghosts to dangle, I cut a small slit in the bottom of the mechanism and threaded a thin piece of clear acetate through, securing with tape. After fiddling with the placement, I adhered a ghost to the strip, adding another ghost to his arm with glue.

The moon was created by cutting watercolor paper with the large circle from the Snowman Twist Circle set, then pressing it into a nonstick craft sheet that's been inked with Antique Linen and Pumice Stone Distress inks. The witch is a Tim Holtz stamp that was stamped in black and fussy cut. The tombstone strip is popped out in the center with foam dots, then adhered to the card on the edges with double-sided tape.

How gorgeous is that spooky night sky?! And how adorable are those little ghosts peeking out from behind the tombstones? I wish you could see it in motion - it's so fun to see those ghosts popping up! I will probably post a video on my Instagram, so be sure and follow if you'd like to see it.

You can find all the supplies I used at Simon Says Stamp via the links below.




Thanks so much for stopping by today! I hope you enjoyed my take on the challenge and my Distress Oxides tutorial. I had a blast making this card! Be sure and check out Karen's blog tomorrow for an amazing card tutorial and lots of G-G-G-Ghostly inspiration from the team.

I'm entering this into the following challenges:
Simon Say Stamp Monday Challenge - A Walk on the Dark Side
Frilly and Funky Challenge - Show Us Your Stamps

13 comments:

  1. Love your card Shelly - the way you have the ghosts coming up from the graveyard is fab. The entire card is spooky fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly, you are truly a Halloween Goddess of ghostly inspiration! Thank you for the step by step tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm running out of superlatives for you. The background is fantastic. This one is going straight in the Shelly folder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Shelly, this is totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The night sky is perfect for this card. I have been amazed at how wonderful the distress oxides work on black. It is so nice to have that as an option. And it is so nice to have this entire tutorial on your wonderful card. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! What a cool card! I love how you made the window, it's kind of like looking in the moon. You have an awesome hand with the inks! Thanks for joining us for our Walk On the Dark Side for our Monday challenge at Simon Says Stamp! Maura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the step by step post, I love your card design and inspiration to try oxide inks on colored cardstock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever, interactive card! I love that the ghosts pop up, and appreciate you pointing that out to us! Your background sky is gorgeous and so spooky! Fun Halloween card! And of course, I am thrilled you shared it with us at Frilly and Funkie! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You just created an amazing looking card!!! Love that beautiful image and colors!!! Very very nice!
    Henry

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great interactive design! I'm with you on the DOX over black CS. Yes please! So so pretty! We are so happy you joined my Use Your Stamps challenge at Frilly & Funkie. Big hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this fabulous interactive card Shelly. The stamping takes those die cuts up a notch too. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been amazed at how wonderful the distress oxides work on black.


    หีฟิต

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!