Thursday, January 15, 2009

Dans ma maison il y a ... un oiseau en hiver

A friend of mine wrote me recently and commented on my art. She said she noticed that I used a lot of black. Was it intentional? Did I have an aversion to white? I thought about it awhile and decided that I do have an aversion to white. Not really white though, just plain white cardstock. For one thing, I am so messy that it always ends up smudged. Always. For another, it is boring to me. All I can think of is, 'how can I fill that white space with some color!' I don't dislike white as much as I love color.

Today I decided to try something pale, but with lots of texture. I've wanted to participate in the Dans ma maison il y a challenge for a long time. There is something so incredibly stimulating about a lot of the French altered art/stamping that they feature. Lots of color, lots of texture, and just an all-around feast for the eyes.

Ok, this is now turning into a book, but I want to share a technique I tried on this piece. Like lots of Cuttlebug addicts, I think constantly of things I can emboss. Lately I have been thinking about felt - not the nice wool kind, the cheap stuff you get at the craft store. I thought that maybe if I wet it a bit, embossed it and then dried it w/my heat gun, it might make a good piece to layer on. Well, it worked pretty well, but the cool thing is, it melts when you heat it! That means you get lots of cobwebby burned away areas so you can peek through to what's underneath. Very cool, right? The roof of my house is birch bark that I found at the Pottery Barn outlet. 'You're buying bark?' says my husband, a Minnesota native, in total disbelief. ;-)

Stamp credits: Oxford Impressions (un oiseau). The bird is from Lisa's Altered Art. Hmmm....I haven't over there for awhile, might need to check it out today! Make sure you click on the pictures to see this at full size. You can really see the texture of the felt!

15 comments:

  1. Wow Shelly,your bird house is lovely and that felt background is just fantastic, I need to go try that out, pity I have no free time till Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have guessed that was felt. That's awesome!

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the texture and the color is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O.K. so now I need to run out to my studio to try out this felt technique (well maybe not run) I,ve been down the last few days. But feeling better now.So I'll walk to the studio!! Your work amazes me. So creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind words on my blog!
    Your creation is gorgeous!!! I love the colors and the texture you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's beautiful...i love bird and texture...

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely birthouse and such great tecture on the background

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ta maison est splendide, bravo, merci beaucoup de ta participation

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, Shelly!!! Your arches have inspired me to join Gothic Arches, just to stretch my mind and abilities. Love the color you've added to this creamy creation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bird card is adorable Shelly! Congrats on having a card published in the Feb/Mar issue of The Stampers Sampler. You do AMAZING work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love your darker pieces of work as I am not a huge fan of white spaces either but this piece is just so beautiful that I can't stop looking at it...it has me completely fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous! Did you dry stamp into the felt after heating/melting it? Is it a normal white piece of felt or a cream colored? Curious. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ohhhhhhh how cooooooollllllll!!! I'm going to have to get out my Sissix, I take it I can do similar embossing with it. This turned out so gorgeous!!! I had to laugh at your comment on your husband, my hubby is always amazed at the stuff I have him pick up at the hardware store..... :D Always fun to stop by and see what you're up to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unbelievable! Can't wait to try the felt trick out...AND, I just spent the past hour on Lisa's website and took advantage of her sale and her $1 sheets. Thank-you so much! You are so inspiring...even if you do keep beating me at Words with Friends :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!