Friday, March 3, 2017

Artful Dwelling Shadow Box

Hi all! It's been ages since I've spent any time in my studio and I've been itching to make something to celebrate the springlike weather we've been having here. I have been seeing so many cute houses using Tim Holtz's new tiny houses die and I was dying to make one. I don't have that die, but I do have his older artful dwellings die (which is on sale at Sizzix right now for just $12!) and decided to make it into a 3D shadow box, which would give me a similar look.

First, I cut the largest house from medium weight chipboard. Then I measured the sides and roof and cut pieces to fit. I also cut a piece to fit the bottom.

Next, I lined up the pieces and taped them in place using masking tape. Very easy! It doesn't matter how the tape looks because it will all be covered up. Now you can go crazy decorating your little shadow box.

I covered the inside of mine with book pages, then brushed over it with a white dabber to lighten the text a bit. I stamped the eggs from Tim's Nature Walk stamp set, and added some stamped text (from an older set by Time to Stamp that's discontinued). The kids are Found Relatives that have been cut out and glued inside the box, along with some moss and a rose adornment. I covered the roof with a piece of metal that I had lying around - it's good to be a pack rat! :) Finally, I dyed a piece of ribbon with Tumbled Glass Distress ink and tied it around the bottom.

Mardi Gras Sale

If you are looking to stock your art room with some fantastic dies, now is the time! Sizzix is having a huge sale with amazing deals on some of my favorite dies from Tim Holtz and Eileen Hull. Click the banner above to go directly to the site. Have fun! :) So sorry, this sale has ended!

You can find the supplies I used at Sizzix, Simon Says Stamps, and Amazon via the links below. SSS is also having a great sale right now. Use the code LUCKY to save $10 off of $50, or use the code LEAP to save $5 off of $5.






Thanks so much for stopping by today! I'm entering this into the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Based on a Book, and Frilly and Funkie's Welcome Spring challenge. Be sure and check out all of the other wonderful submissions on their blogs!

10 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites, Shelly! Gorgeous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beatifull creation
    Thanks for The great inspiration Shelly
    M. Carmen
    Spain

    ReplyDelete
  3. So clever and so cute! I have this die. Going to give it a go. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable, Shelly! You are so creative and always thinking out of the box. LOVE that about you...my kind of gal:) You should work for Tim, you have such great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the spring colors...
    The Sizzix die does not seem to be on sale - link shows as $29.99. When is the sale supposed to start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I apologize - I thought the sale went all weekend, but it ended on Friday night. :(

      Delete
  6. This is a great design idea and so beautifully done. TFS Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colors and the pretty ribbon. Beautiful design as well. Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so beautiful Shelly. Love that garden scene you've created for seating your little girls in. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!