Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Frilly and Funkie - A Touch of Gold

Hi all! It's time for another great challenge over at the Frilly and Funkie blog. The fabulously talented Georgie is our hostess and her chosen theme is A Touch Of Gold. Metal elements, glitter, embossing powder, paint, ribbon, whatever it is let's see a splash of gold in your vintage or shabby chic projects!!

After a few starts and stops, I ended up creating this wall hanging featuring some of my favorite Tim Holtz stamps. The main panel is a piece of watercolor paper that I colored using the wrinkle-free distress technique. On top of that I added the gorgeous woman stamped with Watering Can Archival ink and some faint script using the same ink. The sentiment (one of my faves) is also stamped with Watering Can. I stamped the flourish in a couple places using Potting Soil Archival ink. After adding a bit of tape and a layered metal flower (one of my gold touches), I stitched the panel to a piece of white cardstock and roughed up the edges.

The base of the panel is burlap paper adhered to medium weight chipboard. To add another gold element, I applied Texture Paste to the burlap followed by gold embossing powder. After the paste dried, I heated the powder to melt it. Such a cool technique from Tim! To complete the burlap layer, I dabbed Picket Fence Distress paint around the edges.

To finish my hanging, I layered the stitched panel with a bit of torn cheesecloth and adhered it to the burlap base. I punched a couple of holes in the top, threaded it with seam binding, added a Word Stick and I was done!

All the supplies I used can be purchased at The Funkie Junkie Boutique via the links below.



Thanks so much for visiting today! I hope you can join in with our Touch of Gold challenge. There is a fantastic prize for one lucky winner. Read all about it here. Good luck and have a fantastic week!

5 comments:

  1. Lovely! Great composition and wonderful application of the theme x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very lovely Shelly. And I adore that sentiment too. I really want to try to Tim's embossing powder on texture paste technique! Looks great here!! Love the stamping (I've got to get Watering Can -- so much softer that black) and the cheesecloth is perfect on the edges. What a wonderful make. Thanks for the inspiration Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have pinned this project! I just love the layers and stitching. The stamp and coordinating stamps and inks are perfect together! Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tons of gorgeous texture and I adore how you've added the gold detailing to this! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Shelly, lovely image and sentiment! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!