Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Frilly and Funkie - 'Tis the Season!

Hi all! Today I'm sharing my project for the latest Frilly and Funkie challenge. The very talented Nancy is our hostess this time and here's what she has to say about our theme, "With Christmas quickly approaching I've chosen the theme of: 'Tis the Season!' I'm keeping it super simple. You may create any type of vintage or shabby chic holiday themed project - whatever winter holiday you celebrate!"

I was inspired by all of the tartan/plaid I've been seeing lately - especially a pillow my good friend Michelle made me. I really wanted to make something useful and festive, so I decided to make some napkins for my holiday table. We use cloth napkins daily and, for some reason, I have never thought to make them myself! The best thing is that this project is totally no-sew, so you don't have to haul out your machine. A huge plus in my book!

To make the napkin, I cut my fabric (found at Hobby Lobby) to about 18" square and then washed it. I wanted a frayed edge. If you don't want it to fray more, you can use a liquid product like Dritz Fray Check on the edges. Next, I adhered a scrap of a cashmere sweater I found at a thrift shop to a piece of Thermoweb Heat'n Bond. Once that was cool, I die cut it using Tim Holtz's Prancing Reindeer die. To adhere it to the napkin, I simply peeled off the backing and ironed the reindeer onto the napkin. Easy!

The napkin ring was created by first cutting a piece of paper towel tube to 1.5". I cut a piece of burlap surfaces to the same width and adhered it to the paper tube. I tied it with Tim's paper string and a sweet tree charm and I was done. This project is so quick and easy, you could pretty much make a set while your Christmas turkey was in the oven!

The supplies I used can be found at The Funkie Junkie Boutique via the links below.



Thanks so much for stopping by today. I'm sad to say this is my last project for the Frilly and Funkie team. I've had a blast during my six short months with this fabulously talented team and I hate to leave, but my schedule is just not giving me the time I need to keep up with the amazing work of my fellow designers. A huge thanks to the wonderful Linda Coughlin who is as talented as she is kind, and the incredible Jenny Marples (Buttons) who put up with my endless questions and who runs the team so beautifully. And one more shout out to the rest of the team - you are all an endless source of inspiration and I'm so thankful that I could hang out with you for awhile!

9 comments:

  1. What a fun holiday project Shelly! Loving the tartan look here. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely idea Shelly. Love the rustic charm about this and the natural elements. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh - this is just soooo fun Shelly. Soooooooooo Christmassy! Love every inch of this project. Merry Christmas! j.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful project Shelly. I think F&F will miss you and your incredible talent too. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quick and easy is oh so good. Thanks for the inspiration Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your festive napkins and coordinating rings, Shelly!! What a great idea to add that special touch to your holiday table. I would have never guessed how simple they are to put together, which makes me love them even more, as my sewing skills are limited to paper. I have a feeling this is going to be a huge hit on Pinterest.
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful festive project - a simple way to add real decorative delight to the table!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly, this is amazing! I adore this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is a festively wonderful napkin. Thanks for the inspiration...now I need to make some.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!