Friday, October 20, 2017

Something Wicked Halloween Shadow Box

Hi all! After I discovered that Eileen Hull's Journal die could be used to make cool shadow boxes, I knew I had to make one for Halloween. With Sizzix' huge sale on Tim Holtz dies going on this weekend, I thought it was the perfect time to create a spooky assemblage featuring some of my favorite dies of Tim's. The best part is they are all on sale right now!

I used one of my all-time favorite dies on the front of my book/box. This Boo die is so awesome! I've used it on so many projects and I never get tired of it. Underneath it I've used the Mini Baroque Movers and Shapers die - another fave.

I cut the Boo out of chipboard, then painted it black and covered it with black glitter. So pretty! Along the bottom I added a strip of bats cut from black kraft core'dinations using Tim's Bats and Crossbones Garland die.

Ack! So much spooky goodness! And I'm really excited about how this Mini Clipboard die cut turned out. Yes, that's a die! I made it look realistic by first covering the front and back of a piece of chipboard with foil tape. I die cut it using the Mini Clipboard Movers and Shapers die, then aged it with black and silver alcohol inks. So cool! I used the Mini Spider and 31 die set for the perfect embellishments. Beware was cut from black kraft core'dinations using a die from the Halloween Words set.

Here's a shot of the Mini Clipboard die before I assembled it. The piece with the brads was cut freehand from a leftover piece of the chipboard. It's attached to the book cover, then the clip piece is adhered on top using foam dots to give it dimension. I also added grooves with a stylus and rounded the bottom to make it look more real.

Just like in my Christmas book shadow box, I used dollar store jewelry boxes to create my niches. They're covered with papers from Tim's Halloween collection, and edged with design tape.

I found these cute witches via Pinterest on this site. I cut them apart and sized them to make them fit the space. (I didn't realize until today that this image is also included in one of Tim's Found Relatives collections. Depending on the size, those may not fit the space the same.) They were colored with Distress markers and adhered with foam dots. Tim's Gothic Gate die adds a bit of texture behind them. To cover the seam between the two boxes, I cut a strip of skulls using the Bats and Crossbones die and adhered it. A few witchy embellishments to fill the bottom niche and I was done!

You can find all the dies I used at Sizzix (ON SALE!!) via the image below. To give you an idea of how good the prices are, the Boo die is marked down to $7 - it's normally $19.99!! Some of these dies will most likely be discontinued, so grab them while you still can. Shipping is free when you order $99 or more. Eileen's Journal die is finally back in stock and it's a great time to pick up one of those as well!


My favorite chipboard to use with Eileen's ScoreBoard dies is the medium weight chipboard from Amazon:


Thanks so much for stopping by today! I hope you enjoyed the Halloween version of the Eileen Hull Journal shadow box. I really had a blast making it! :) I'm entering this into Frilly and Funkie's 'Tis Near Halloween challenge. Be sure and check out all the wonderful inspiration from some of the best designers I know!

Have a fantastic weekend!

13 comments:

  1. super cool as usual Shelly!! I love how you made the Journal into a shadowbox. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Shelly- would be fun to do one for each holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter asked for more Halloween decorations - I make her new ones each year. Looks like this goes on the list. Maybe I can get it done for this year. Love your projects Shelly. thanks as always for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely wonderful....love love all your details and die cuts! Great imagination! TFS! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the sweetest person! I had fun reading how you made this! I especially love the way you used TH markers to color in some of the areas on the witches! I caught wind of the sale on Friday and tried to pick and choose carefully, after my total added to $200, I finally got it whittled down to $50........so many to choose from, ahhh. I would have never thought to buy the Artful Dwellings die until I started Google Searching it and found so many AMAZING things you've made with it! I felt very bad that I only had to pay $4 when everyone else paid the full price or higher sale prices on that die. Please tell me they give these to you for free?! I feel like you sold these dies to me, I hope you are earning some big financial rewards too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMAZING shadow box using all those great dies, and now I must shuffle off to Sizzix to see what's left! You've done a fantastic job with all these details, and I love how you've made your clipboard! I'm so excited you shared this in my Halloween challenge at Frilly and Funkie! Hugs! Sara Emily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely Halloween fabulous ! J'adoooore ! Halloween is the moment that I love your projects ! Congrats !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shelly! I have been bad about commenting but definitely been enjoying your art! Love this beautiful shadow box with all the fabulous details including the witch sisters lurking amidst the embellishments. So happy that you played along with us at Frilly and Funkie this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a great eye for detail. This is filled with amazing little concepts. We are so pleased that you shared in our challenge at Frilly and Funkie. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shelley,I just discovered your site. Absolutely love your creativity!!! Your attention to detail is fabulous. I am wondering what that lacy looking white stuff is beside the witches' feet? I thought maybe it was from an acquariam store for fishtanks, but no such luck. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!