Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Flipping For Flip-its!


Have you ever come across something so simple, yet so clever, that it blows your mind just a little? That's how I feel about Stephanie Barnard's Flip-its dies from Sizzix. They are just too cool! They are incredibly easy dies to use and lend themselves to endless possibilities and styles.

I just got the Circle style (there are lots of different shapes!) and decided to break it in by creating a card for this week's Compendium of Curiosities challenge. This week it's all about Kraft Resist. I watched Tim Holtz' new video and couldn't wait to try my new Brushed Pewter Distress Stain with the technique!

How awesome is that stain on the Kraft Resist paper?! I totally had one of those 'why didn't I think of that?' moments when I was watching Tim demo. The Brushed Pewter Distress Stain is one of my favorite new products - I can't wait to the get other two colors.
Here is the flip side of the Flip-its. Crazy-amazing, right? For the back side of my circle, I stamped a tag that I cut using the Sizzix Tiny Tabs and Tags die (one of my favorite go-to dies). It's stamped with a quote from Tim's Stuff to Say stamp set and tied with the new idea-ology Paper Twine.

My first thought after I covered the stain with paper was metallic/industrial/steampunky. After I was done I realized that this looks a LOT like other cards I've done. I can't help it if I love painting gears! ;) I am going to try to resist (ha! get it?) doing more for awhile though. I have some really cool ideas for the holidays using this die. Oh, and did I mention it's also a Movers and Shapers die? That means the center section can be cut using any M&S dies. Woo hoo! The gears are turning. (Ha again!)

You can find the Flip-its die on the Sizzix site and from your local stamp store. I'm going to beg Inspiration Emporium to get some - they are so amazing!

You can find everything else I used at Inspiration Emporium via the links below. Don't forget to use my discount code - stamptramp - to save yourself 10%!


24 comments:

  1. Another fabulous card (and product!)Loving all your gears....keep 'turning' them out! Great blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! I love how it looks like a bank vault, the possiblitiy of what's inside. And I firmly beleive one can never have too many gears :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly, you did it again! You made another wonderful creation! That flip it die is so much fun! You're right about being so versatile for lots of different styles.Can't wait what you are gonna make with that for the seasons. Speaking of waiting, I'm waiting on my metallic stains to come in. Hopefully I get them within a week or two. I really love the metallic look that's created from paper! You shouldn't resist that ;). Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your card! And too funny, I just ordered one of those dies this morning; the ornamental frame one...now I wish I had ordered the circle one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love this card, the techniques are awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...great card Shelly, so perfect the the male's in our life, loVe what you have done with the cogs...perfect...Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, the brushed pewter is gorgeous... fantastic card with those funky cogs and gears - love it!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Shelly
    This is a unique masculine card,I love the design. Your gears look very real, great colour palette too.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. It amazes me how TH keeps coming up with these fabulous products, you have showed off the brushed pewter to it's best advantage here - love it and love cogs, please don't stop using them for a while......looking forward to seeing your holiday ideas. A x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's like cracking open a safe!!! I totally love it! The gears and all their dark texture rock the contrast from the steel look of the background! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really, really cool! This is insane...this die obsession...STOP it! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great card Shelly and indeed the Sissix are really great to work with.

    Greetings Janny

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I always love how you grunge your gears - perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, do you really do great work with metal-looks! And will you STOP using new dies. I am having to buy all of them....put that's the point, right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all things steampunk. The gears work fantastic with the sizzix diecut.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great steampunk creation Shelly and a gorgeous shaped card.
    Lovey artwork!

    greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely! Lovely! Lovely!
    And OMG! I didn't realize there was a gadget gear die!!!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete

  18. I really love this (of course I have a thing for gears!) I want those flip it dies too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these! I bought a couple of these dies at the Scrapbook Expo, but I haven't tried them yet. Gotta pull them out before I forget I have them! lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome work Shelley sooooo cool x

    Kaz x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!