Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Karen Burniston Designer Challenge - Hip to be Square

Hi all! It's time again for Karen Burniston's Designer Challenge. This month our theme is 'Hip to be Square'. I thought it was the perfect time to use one of my favorite dies - Karen's Spinner Square Pop-Up - and got to work making a pretty botanical thank you card.

The papers are all from Graphic 45's Nature Sketchbook (retired, but you might be able to find it on eBay or Etsy). This is one of my all-time favorite collections and it works so well for this card!

As the card is opened, the two butterflies on the right 'fly' out from behind the square panel. Magic! I love thinking of different things that could be animated using this die. As I'm typing and thinking, I've already decided I need to do a steampunk version with gears - how cool would that be?!

To animate the butterflies, I used the rectangle arm die from the set to cut a piece of transparency so that the mechanism would disappear and the butterflies would look like they were flying. I adhered the larger butterfly to the arm, making sure that it would be hidden when the card was closed, and then attached the smaller butterfly to it with a foam dot.

This series of photos shows the various positions of the butterflies as the card is opened. I love the magic of them floating out from behind the square panel!

Here's a quick video to show the animation. It's a little dark, but you can get the general idea of how the card works!

The supplies I used can be purchased via the links below.

Thanks so much for stopping by today! Be sure and check out Karen's blog on Wednesday to see her latest tutorial and lots of inspiration from the team!

4 comments:

  1. Gooooooooorgeous Shelly I love this card lots ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly, your card was especially amazing to me. Love all the beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful labor of love! I love butterflies especially if they look like they are really flying! You have coordinated all these lovely Graphic 45 papers so well, thanks for sharing your talent and ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!