Thursday, October 30, 2008

Theme Thursday + Exciting Opportunity!

This is my first time to participate in the Theme Thursday challenge - I always want to, but it seems like I run out of time the later in the week it gets. This week's theme is vintage tho, so I made myself do something! First I had to clean off my desk . :-(
Ack! Am I the only one with such a horrible looking work surface? I saved all of the little bits and pieces that were lying around, added some pieces that I've been trying to work into projects and it evolved into this!

The stamps are both from Oxford Impressions - the woman is from the Venezia plate and the tag is from the April in Paris plate. The French Laundry hanger is available at RockCandy Studios and the paper flowers are from Walmart. Everything else is vintage.

Now, for the big news! Oxford Impressions is looking for new Design Team members! This is a wonderful opportunity to be a designer for one of the best stamp companies in the business. I am really excited - I know there is so much talent out there and I can't wait to see what amazing art will come our way! Click HERE for the details. Also, since OI designers are required to demonstrate an ability to work with photo stamps, make sure you check out Suzanne's tutorial on getting the best images from this type of stamp. I will give you a few of my own tips too!

From my experience there are three absolute rules you must follow to get the best impressions from your stamps. First and foremost - you must use the right kind of paper. I can't stress this enough. It needs to be coated paper - glossy is fine, matte coated (like Suzanne sells) is great too. I usually use the matte coated, but the for the piece I made above I used glossy because it's what was close at hand. If you try to use plain cardstock you will not get the detail required for this type of stamp. Second - you need to use the right kind of ink and the right amount of ink. My personal preferance is black Archival ink by Ranger. You also need your pad to be on the dry side. I've seen lots of images ruined by overinking the stamp. You end up with a big splotch of goo and not a beautiful photo image! Third, you need to have a firm base to stamp on and some sort of cushion. I prefer to mount my photo stamps on cling foam. I have seen fabulous impressions made with unmounted stamps that are stamped using a mouse pad as a cushion too. Mostly what you have to do is experiment a lot. Sometimes I stamp an entire sheet and end up with just a few good images (depending on how picky I am that day!). Find the best combination of paper/ink/cushion and you will be a pro in no time. Good luck!

24 comments:

  1. Wow Shelly you inspire me again.
    This hanger is excellent.
    Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! love the stamps you have used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Shelly, when did you sneak in and photograph my art desk??? All kidding aside, your hanging is so gorgeous. Even the Wal-mart flowers look vintage. And thanks for the tips about stamping. I don't think I've ever had anyone put it so succinctly and clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful vintage artwork!Love it!
    Lg Anke

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous piece, really stunning! Thanks also for the tutorial, i have two of the OI sets, but never managed to use he photo stamps to the desired effect, so this was really useful, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me again Shelly, just had a look at the OI gallery and admired some of your work there. All of your pieces are just outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a smashing first entry!! I love the small details. Your desk looks like the desk of a happy, productive artist, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, lovely work! I appreciate the tips on the photo-style stamping and the mention about the Design Team Challenge. I hope your talented readers will enter!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I have to say that I thought I had the untidiest workplace in the world but now I am having second thoughts!! However, it is obvious to me now that some of the most exquisite creations can emerge from a less than exquisite birthplace! Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tutorial on stamping. Lovely vintage piece x

    ReplyDelete
  11. My work table is even more disgusting so don't worry. Now if I could only create something as stunning as your piece with the bits on it, I'd be delighted. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you have been a busy person this week..by the looks you have had a great art week..love the fabric makes it look so vintagie..love the hanger i need about hundred can't use them enough

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing art piece. I love the combination of elements here and your vintage fabric stash is wonderful! Thanks for the great tips on using photo stamps. I have a mixed bag of success with them. My creative space is always messy, my muse leaves when it's too clean!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful piece of art, Shelly.

    My desk looks like yours and sometimes worse. My dh says its because I have too much stuff, I tell him it's my creative chaos. Nice to see I am not alone. lol

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an absolutely fabulous piece of art! It's really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Shelly, the picture of your desk cracks me up. I should have taken a picture of mine tonight before I organized. We could have compared notes. Thanks for the heads up on OI DT. I have enough OI plates that I might just play a bit and see what I can come up with in days to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Answer....no you are NOT the only one working in a mess. You should see my desk right now!!
    I adore your French Laundry hanger piece and what beautiful flowers from Wallmart.
    Thanks for the tip off about OI. Just might give that a go.
    Having looked through your blog for the first time today, you have gone on my favourites list....amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. my desk is about a quarter of the size of yours and resembles yours but with all my kids art stuff on it as well! Thanks for the tip on using photo stamps..I managed to win one from inka stamps. I love your vintage odds and ends piece and thanks for your great comments on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous piece again! Wonderful artwork on your blog, Shelly!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shelly, your desk looks VERY much like mine. Only I am ashamed to say I actually have TWO tables put together in an "L-shape" and both look like that and I am surrounded by book cases and Iris carts and they all have stuff piled on top in addition to overflowing drawers. I am actually AFRAID to watch Hoarders!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!